Skip to main content

The Raccoon

I work on a mountain surrounded by a forest.  There's a lot of green space between the more populated foot of the mountain and the university that lives at the peak.  That means there is also plenty of space for critters to live and flourish.

A couple of years ago during the Halloween season an apparently orphaned black bear cub thought cruising the pumpkins and garbage bins in our part of campus was the best way to survive.  Although he was small, having him walking through breezeways and snatching pumpkins off front door stoops where many students also walk, caused plenty of concern.  Simon, we named the bear, was safely removed from campus and put in a wildlife refuge where my department through private donations raised enough money to house and feed him through the winter.  The following spring he was moved to parts unknown.

Simon at the refuge
A more persistent pest are the raccoon.  The pregnant female will often congregate with other females in a colony.  This means pregnant females often decide to give birth where they were born.  If you think about it for a nanosecond you realize this habit can exponentially increase a raccoon population in certain locations over time.  And so it is on the mountain I work.

This summer a female raccoon gave birth to four kits and all roamed the campus rummaging through garbage cans and bins for food.  This family became quite familiar to those who work where an open window is only a meter or yard off the ground.  Raccoon will enter buildings if they have a sense there's food to be found.  Here's a video of Mama and the 4 kits shot on August 22.

A memorable incident happened one day this summer with me sitting in a chair, back to the window.  Imagine the expression on my face as my boss lunged toward me grumbling something inaudible and perhaps unsavory under her breath, as she dove to close the window before one of the kits climbed in.  Here's a reenactment of that scene.


It is now Fall so I have my coat on, I didn't have a coat on last summer.  And that is supposed to be fear on my face, no really, that's fear.  Really
I think one or more of the raccoon climbed into my boss' office during the summer.  Once I was on the phone with her and she had to leave the office and close the door.  On another occasion she was able to keep a raccoon from climbing all over her desk.  So in addition to her work, this summer, my boss had multiple encounters with this set of 5 raccoon.

Recently during lunch I was cruising knitting cyberspace where I found a raccoon pattern.  Raccoon Cocoon was found on Ravelry and can be purchased from Lauren Phillips, just click here.

Raccoon Cocoon
After her summer with the raccoon family I knew she'd miss the little critters this winter when they slow down their activity in order to conserve energy.  So I sent her the photo above with the comment "See attached photo. You will be lonely this winter and one of these will offer you companionship in your office."   Her response back to me: "OMG hilarious--leave it to you to find one in wool...at this point I'd rather stuff a real one!"  Now she didn't really mean that last part, I think.  No she didn't.

Within six minutes she writes back:  "Love it!!! Hey, how fast can you knit?  This would be a great gift for Kate - we will pay you a handsome sum (but perhaps still 30% below market rate).  Is it possible for you to pull that off by October?  Or at all as I suspect there may not be a pattern."  (Kate happens to be a colleague leaving for a new position in early October.)  Little did my boss know I'd already sourced the pattern and had plans to make at least one of these little cushions.  All this started on September 13 and by September 26 the project was complete.

As for the knitting, you can tell it went very smoothly since it took less than two full weeks to complete.  A certain amount of time was spent looking through my button collection to be sure I found ones that had just the right size and shine and on that score my boss and I were pleased.

Knitting with a specific purpose is always fun and when it makes everyone happy I feel fulfilled.   Our hope is Kate will take this little cushion and place it in a window in her new office as a constant reminder of her time here at RaccoonU.  Here she is with her new companion and my boss, the gift giver.


Oh what fun we can have with one little knit raccoon cushion
One of the four gifts done and delivered.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4