Skip to main content

Yarn Bombing

There are so many different things one can do with yarn.  It is possible to knit, crochet, tat, braid, and more and one can make decorative, practical, wearable or interesting items with it.  As you know I tend to lean more toward the decorative or interesting end of the spectrum so I need to be cautious as I discuss the practice of yarn bombing.  It too leans in the decorative realm, but I'm not sure I get it.  (Dack, I can hear you chuckling at this last statement.  Yes, yes, I get the incongruousness.)   Yarn bombing is a great way to use up random stash and although I don't personally find it appealing, it does have the impact of changing nondescript public places into something more interesting.

What is yarn bombing?   "A type of graffiti or street art that employs colorful displays of knitted or crocheted cloth, rather than paint or chalk. While yarn installations--called yarn bombs or knit bombs--may last for years, they are considered non-permanent, and, unlike graffiti, can be easily removed if necessary. The practice is believed to have originated in the U.S. with Texas knitters trying to find a creative way to use their leftover and unfinished knitting projects, but it has since spread worldwide.While other forms of graffiti may be expressive, decorative, territorial, socio-political commentary, advertising or vandalism, yarn bombing is almost exclusively about reclaiming and personalizing sterile or cold public places."  (taken from BuzzWord by Macmillan Dictionary).

To give you a glimpse of what yarn bombing looks like in the field, here are a couple of local Vancouver, British Columbia installations:



A bike rack in downtown Vancouver
 

An art installation on the seawall near Stanley Park
 Now back to my world and yarn bombing.  Each spring art students at my university are required to show some of their work in public places across campus.  There have been some very creative works in the past years but this year has brought a couple that caused me to pull out the iPhone to take photos.  Just imagine my surprise to see not just one, but two yarn bomb installation here this spring.  One campus statue, which happens to look very much like an egg was yarn bombed for Easter:



Yarn bombed "Oval Reflections" at SFU
 



The unbombed creation shown with its artist

Another statue titled "On the Beach" was less bombed but certainly made more colourful.  With those pink scarves and head bands these bronze sunbathers appear more spring-like:


On the Beach at SFU
 
So yarn bombers at Simon Fraser Univeristy keep up the good works. You have added colour to an otherwise rather drab spring and increased the overall discourse about the statues here with your creations. 


Comments

  1. I feel that Afghanis would be much less angry and must more colorful if the predator drones would call in yarn bombs! Zahwari would look great in wool knit scarf, a pink toque with a flower on it, and eating a piece of knitted wedding cake. The Revolution may not be televised, but it will be knitted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I think I know who you are. Adding some intellectual content to this blog, oh what is the world coming to. I do like your idea of bombs being made of yarn, they would be so much easier on the collateral damage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4